Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Leaving On A Jet Plane


(Photo courtesy of Public Domain)


Unfortunately, I know when I'll be back again.

By the time you read this post, Amanda and I will be dragging a massive amount of dorm room bedding, summer clothes (she's going to Florida, after all) and every toiletry item and dorm room supply a new college student should need, through Newark Airport. Of  course, they are all packed tightly and air-free in space bags and then into 2 sea bags, 1 large suitcase, and 2 carry-ons. Extra baggage fees don't scare us. (Well, we had no choice, actually.)

Today is bittersweet.

I look forward to seeing where my daughter will spend the next four years of her life. (No, we never had time to visit the school since the application, acceptance, and mad dash for required paperwork happened in a four month time-frame.) We'll have fun setting up her small apartment. (Yes, she's lucky. Although entering as a freshman, her age qualified her for upper-classman housing in a small apartment with only one roommate, instead of three or five.) She's excited and we're very excited for her.

When I get home, I'll be busy getting the house back to normal. No more rows and rows of toiletries on the vanity, no more clothes and shoes scattered on the bedroom floor. I'll go through less coffee in a week. I can write without interruption and I can go to bed and not worry that she isn't home yet. (I can't help it, I don't sleep until she's in bed.)

So, yeah, the house will be neat and quiet...and lonely. Don't get me wrong, I loooove my hubby, John, but he's quiet and reserved and is happiest while watching the Yankees. My daughter is lively and bubbly. I love her chatter, even when I'm trying to write. She's an honest critic ("That character is annoying, Mom." "You need to dye your hair, Mom.") and she has such interesting stories. ("One time, at boot camp...")

Oh, I'll get over it. Shopping for flooring, tile, and countertops will keep my mind occupied. I can finally finish my fourth assignment and get that novel done. I'll settle back into our soon-to-be renovated empty nest and before I know it, Amanda will be back for Christmas break--scattering clothes, drinking my coffee, and chattering in my ear.

I can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D