Monday, February 20, 2012

"The Glimmer Train Guide to Writing Fiction"--Book Thoughts

"Inspiration and Discipline-Volume 2"







I'm not very talkative (until you get to know me, then I'll talk your ear off) and I rarely comment on blogs. I just sort of lurk around and take it all in.
I'm not very lucky either. Once in a while I'll win $5.00 on a lottery scratch-off.

One day, not too long ago, while catching up on my blogs, I commented on a post at Donna McDine's Write What Inspires You blog. The stars must have been perfectly aligned because not only was I talkative that day, I was also lucky! That's right, I was the 'one lucky commenter' who won this book.

Now, I'll be honest, I've got about 20-25 reference books about writing on my shelf that I still haven't opened yet. Hmm. Maybe that's why I can't get many things published. **Note to self: Start reading those books.** Anyway, I put this book on the 'To be read' pile in my living room and kind of forgot about it. Last week, I was dusting and accidentally knocked the pile onto the floor. When I picked up this book, I flipped it open to a random page and was immediately hooked. Since I have a touch of ADD, which becomes more apparent every day, I stopped dusting, sat down, and opened to page one. Needless to say, my dusting never got done that day, but I had made it a quarter of the way through the book.

I am familiar with Glimmer Train. I've submitted to them a few times when I was just starting out and decided to wait awhile to submit again. Yeah, I was very brave about submitting. **Shakes head and hopes Glimmer Train forgets about the horrible stuff I sent them.**

This little green book is full of interview excerpts. Interviews by more than one hundred authors who talk about their writing lives, family support (and even the lack of), personal approaches, and even writer's block. In the process of reading this book, I've jotted down a number of authors whose works I need to read, I've learned a few different views about writing, but most of all, I've gotten inspiration.

This book is too good to put on the shelf. So, I'd like one of you to read it also. Yup, I'm passing this book on to one lucky commenter. Let's do this all scientific-like--I'm thinking of a number from 1-20. Guess the number, and I'll send it to your front door.  Ready? Go...

Do you have a book suggestion or your own published book you'd like me to read? Drop me an e-mail at deestan62@gmail.com.

5 comments:

  1. You must have been in a mood while writing this post. I was cracking up. You not talkative? In what world? ADD? Hahaha. I loved this post today.

    ctny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Courtney, but you didn't pick a number...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid to read the blogs when you are talkative lol!! I subbed to Glimmer Train a few times too and I thought I'd get in, having written for newspapers and a few magazines--but no way--their standards are high. If you'd like to read my book let me know and send me your address. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. BTW, I picked the number 14 for a reason found in my book. Love your site, Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Micki,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you enjoyed my humble site.
    Yes,I'd love to read your book! I'll e-mail you my address.
    Thanks again and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it looks like we've got ourselves a winner! The number I was thinking of is--8.
    Since Micki came the closest, she is the winner of this amazing book!
    Congratulations, Micki! I know you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D