Thursday, October 16, 2014

Do Women Write Better Than Men?

First of all, I wanted to tell you about Grammarly. Not only do they have a fun Facebook page that is educational as well as entertaining, but they also have a website that can check your writing for grammar errors. How cool is that? If you write for any reason, blogging, schoolwork, correspondence, etc., take a peak at this grammar checker and get a 7-day free trial.

Grammarly recently conducted a study with 3,000+ participants to settle an existential question that has been plaguing mankind for centuries: “Which gender has the better writers?”






Well, here are my thoughts--

I have favorite writers in both genders.

There are exceptions to all of the polled questions; James Patterson wrote as a teen girl in the Maximum Ride series, Diana Gabaldon wrote as a 16th century Scottish man in the Outlander series, George RR Martin, and Charles Dickens wrote long descriptive sentences. Amy Tan and  Nora Roberts (as JD Robb) write short clipped sentences.

The first sentence of a good book will sweep me off my feet and carry me into the character's head or into a scene. While reading, I don't ever think about the writer, let alone their gender. I often wait until I've finished a book before reading the author's bio.

If anyone thinks that women are better writers than men, or vice-versa, I would say they haven't read enough books and authors.

What are your thoughts on this poll?

*****

Connect with me on Twitter--Facebook--LinkedIn--Google+
Plus, sign up for e-mail updates from this blog in the top right-hand corner of the page.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D