Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Life Measurements



Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.
David Frost

How do we know when we have become successful?

We've all heard the old saying, Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. Is it possible to stand still and take stock of our possessions, blessings, and accomplishments and be satisfied?

I found as I go through life, my success meter is changeable and looking back, I see that I’ve raised the bar more than a few times. But, come to think of it, I don't know if I’ve ever defined success for myself.

Without a written goal, how do we know WHAT to achieve? Have you ever felt trapped by goals? When we reach our goals do we bask in our happiness before setting another?

Almost everyone has heard someone, or maybe even heard ourselves, say, "Oh sure, I'm blessed but if only...."
I believe it is human nature to want to be better, have more, and do more. But how do we know when enough is enough and do we ever truly feel happy and satisfied?

I recently came across an equation that pretty much sums it up for me:
Success=Happiness + Satisfaction

Some people's success is visible. They’ve somehow made a difference in the world by being a humanitarian, wealthy, or famous. But we all can't make millions of dollars, cure disease, or write Harry Potter.
 So tonight, after we close the doors to the auto repair shop that we own, and sit down to a hot meal in our home in the country, I think I will tell my wonderful husband how much I love him. And maybe I will work a little more on my novel before I crawl into my warm bed and thank God for our healthy, happy children.

Sounds like success to me.

How do you measure success? Have you achieved it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D