Friday, February 11, 2011

"On Writing" by Stephen King--A Memoir of the Craft (Book Thoughts)



Stephen King began writing about his craft and his life in 1999.  On Writing gives us a view of Stephen's childhood and glimpses of the inspiration for situations that provoked best sellers such as Carrie, Misery, and The Stand.

He wrote his short book about writing and figured "the shorter the book, the less the bullshit."  Mr. King's book is filled with anything but bullshit.  Although I have been a fan of his work since high school, I haven't read any of his recent work.  I don't know if my heart can take it anymore, lol!

His worries about sounding like "a literary gasbag or a transcendental asshole" are totally unfounded.  Reading On Writing almost felt as if Mr. King is one of my good friends who had come over for dinner and a chat. 

His straightforwardness not only made me stop and think about so many things in my writing laugh but better yet, the book made me laugh out loud.  (I love when a book makes me laugh out loud!)  He even inspired me to put my desk in the corner and get to work, leaving a few great quotes rattling around in my brain.

"Life isn't a support system for art.  It's the other way around."

"If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write."

I have tons of reading hours under my belt and continue to read one or two books at a time so I think I'm heading in the right direction.
If you are a fan of Stephen King's work, you may be surprised about where the ideas for some of his best work comes.  If you are a writer, you need to read this book for inspiration.  And if you are a little of both, you will definitely enjoy this gem.  I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, I have chosen your blog for the irresistibly sweet blog award: www.ctnyrene.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D