Tuesday, March 27, 2012

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Blogpost...


Yes, yes, I know. Monday's post is late. I don't know what happened! I'm usually at least two weeks ahead in my blog posts, but somehow the days got away from me.

You see, this year (in exactly 81 days) I turn 50 years old. The big 5-0. Half a century. How did that happen? Last time I looked, I was 25 and I had my whole life ahead of me. Now, my baby girl will turn 25 in October, and I'm eagerly awaiting John's son, Justin, and his girlfriend, to bless us with our first grandson's birth in August.

I know they say that 50 is the new 30, but when you feel more like 80, it's time to get rid of bad habits and take control.

Three weeks ago, I abandoned the Nutrisystem diet (the food was just ugly and it all tasted the same) and went back on the Atkin's Diet. I've done it before, I know it works. Besides, eating food out of cardboard containers is not something I see myself doing for the rest of my life, but having a low-carb lifestyle is definitely do-able. I've already lost eight pounds!

Then, last week, hubby John and I got serious about kicking the smoking habit. He bought the patch and I loaded up on Nicorette lozenges. My diet has suffered a little because a little chocolate makes everything better, but otherwise, we've stayed away from cigarettes. AND we've already saved $130! (Yes, I'm putting the money away for a special reward for the both of us.)

I think the lack of nicotine and carbohydrates has seriously affected my brain function, but I'm slowly coming around. I was able to write for a few hours last night (the first time I've written since quitting) and only reached for a cigarette once. Our clothes and our home smell so much better, we can both breathe easier, and hopefully, we've added a few more years to our lives so we can be around to watch our family grow.

I'm looking forward to turning 50. I have lots of plans and besides, 50 is as good an age as any to complete my first novel.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday in advance, Denise, and congrats on the soon-to-arrive grandchild! (How exciting!) 50 is as good an age as any to do Anything You Want. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D