Monday, July 23, 2012

Spreading The News--July 2012


Wow! I haven't done one of these posts since April! I've been saving up so much good stuff for you. So, let's get right to it.


Markets For You:


Prime Number Magazine--Publishes distinctive fiction, non-fiction, poetry, reviews, interviews, and essays on craft, from both emerging and established writers.

Pedestal Magazine--(Deadline August 13) Looking for stories of 1500 words about Mark Nipple. Check out their website to read Mark Nipple's background. Pays $.05 per word.

Fiction Fix--An online journal that publishes short fiction, short-short fiction, and novel excerpts in traditional or experimental form.

Penumbra--Speculative fiction e-mag has their theme list for 2013 listed on their website. Pays $.05 per word.

330 Words--a blog for writers with a digital phone or camera phone. Take a photo and write a piece of fiction under 330 words.

Spellbound Magazine--This fantasy magazine for children, a Kickstarter project, is looking for poems and stories up to 2500 words. Pays 2.5 cents/word and $10 for poems under 8 lines!

Rainstorm Press--Publishes a variety of genres and also has a few anthologies they are looking to fill.

Writing Resources:


Writer's Digest Has a YouTube Channel--Subscribe to the channel to find tutorial video clips full of helpful information.

Creative Writing Exercises--This site has eight exercises designed to improve your writing quality and enjoyment.

Easy Street Prompts--Offers visual prompts and photographs to inspire you.

Plot Whisperer--Having a problem with your plot? Martha Alderson can help you with all your dilemmas.

Fun Stuff:
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words--Take Two Publishing is running a contest. Take a look at the picture, compose a short story of 1000 words, and you could win an interview promoted on Twitter and Facebook, a two minute YouTube video, a $25 Amazon gift card, and a 'Writer's kit.' Hurry! The contest ends August 31, 2012.

Cafe Press Writer's Gifts--Clocks, totes, magnets, decals, t-shirts...Lots of fun stuff for your favorite writer.


Brain Pickings--Browse their website and make sure you sign up for their awesome newsletter.

Upcycle Your Old T-shirts--Have some treasured t-shirts that you can't bear to part with? Why not upcycle them into a scarf, blanket or tote bag? Daily Grommet has some really great products. Sign up for their weekly e-mail and be in the know about their cool stuff.

That's all I've got for you right now. Have fun checking out these websites!



4 comments:

  1. I like the t-shirts one. I have some old t-shirts back from my teen days that I never wear because I don't wear that stuff anymore, but I also don't want to part with. Maybe I should make them into tote bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great idea? I used to go to concerts all the time and buy a t-shirt that I wouldn't wear. I got rid of them all a looooong time ago. Now, I wish I hadn't.

      Delete
  2. I love the t-shirt idea one too! How fun would that be to make tote bags out of my old Guns n Roses t's.

    This is some great stuff Denise. I also like the 330 picture idea. That one sounds fun to try.

    ctny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 330 site is quite entertaining to read. I loved the quirkiness of the one with the dashboard toys. Glad you enjoyed the post. :D

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D