Friday, October 25, 2013

Writing And Accountability Partners

Keep Calm and SAY IT OUT LOUD Poster 

Accountability--An obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions.

Whenever I plan on doing something important, like losing weight or staying smoke-free, I find that voicing my intention helps to keep me on track. Talking about my plans takes that random idea out of my head and flings it into the universe, making it an attainable goal. I think it works--I've been smoke-free for almost 4 months.



The same is true for writing. For the most part, it's is a solo endeavor, and unless you have to meet a deadline, there is no one to answer to. Writing is not a team sport, but there's no reason you can't have cheerleaders.

Partner--One associated with another, especially in an action.



Having an accountability partner is invaluable for me.  I need someone to answer to, brainstorm ideas with, discuss my fears, celebrate accomplishments and yes, commiserate with about rejections. Having a partner helps me get back in the zone even with all the trials and tribulations of everyday life. And sometimes, a partner is great for pulling you out of that writer's block slump we all get into. I have two partners, and I'd like to think I help them as much as they help me.

Just like Penn and Teller, Bonnie and Clyde, Lewis and Clark, or Thelma and Louise, having a partner keeps you focused, keeps you on task, but it also makes life more fun.



Do you have an accountability partner?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D