Saturday, February 5, 2011

Finding Our Calling



Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit.
Frank Borman

This past month, I've read a number of articles in various magazines that discuss the search for one's true calling.  According to all of the articles, it is never too late to change careers.  Personally, I think that's a really good thing. 

Of course, some of us have no idea what we want to be when we grow up and there are many factors involved in determining our perfect career choice.  But there are research facilities who, for a modest fee of approximately $650.00 (!), can help you find the job you were born to do.

Oprah suggested we write down the times when we are the happiest.  So, I sat down to recall the times and things that made me the happiest and of course I had a fairly good list.  After some thought, I realized that life is meant to be lived and maybe we're supposed to try different things.  Maybe we're supposed to fail at things, even things we enjoy doing.

Of course, I wish I had mustered up the courage or motivation to try my hand at writing when I was much younger, but I think the careers I've tried in the past may influence the way I write.  Maybe I was meant to flounder around until I found my passion and who's to say I won't find another passion somewhere down the road?

I've had 20 jobs in the past 31 years and while I've had some horrible jobs like delivering newspapers and full-time data entry--even though it WAS in the Twin Towers, I hated keying in the same information over and over again into a computer all day.  I've also had some cool jobs like when I was data entry teacher in a business school in the Empire State Building and my job as warehouse office manager in charge of shipping.  I was in control the inventory of many corporate accounts including Candies' shoes and Kenneth Cole's first line of shoes!  Bartending was fun while it lasted until I couldn't stand the smell of beer and I definitely couldn't get out of telemarketing fast enough. 

But I do know each and every one of my career choices taught me something I hadn't known before about life (owning a business is a 24 hour job!), people (there are many people who have life-threatening chemical allergies), or myself (I am capable of much more than I realize.)

It's been quite an adventure and perhaps if I had found the straighter and quicker path to where I am now, I may not have met all the wonderful people I know and may not have done all the things along the way which helped create the person I am today.

So tell me...Have you found your true calling?  What was the most interesting job you've ever had?

3 comments:

  1. I love love love writing. It's one of the things I can turn to when I'm depressed that really lifts me up. Sometimes what I write reflects the mood I'm in, but by the time I'm done I feel much more peaceful.

    The other thing I love is singing. I think I'd love to be a mother/singer/writer. :) Music gets me through hard times, and just belting out in time with Josh Groban or Haley Westenra can do WONDERS for my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you make a very good point, if life was easy what fun would it be? I have wanted to be many things in my life: A fairy, a flight attendant, a teacher, a belly dancer, a mommy, and a writer. Thankfully, the mommy and writing thing is the only thing that stuck....

    ctny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat: I agree with you about writing. I also feel almost like a weight is lifted from my chest when I finish a writing project. How wonderful that you can sing!

    Courtney: Belly dancer? That's very interesting. It's never too late to take lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D