Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Feeling a Little Horrible...




I'm currently enrolled in the Institute for Children's Literature's novel course and am working on my first YA novel. My instructor recommended a few books for me to read. One of the recommended books is, "Inkheart," by Cornelia Funke.

I've heard of the book and the movie, of course, but I'm the type of person who likes to read the book before watching Hollywood's adaptation. There have been many times when I've seen a movie and then found out it was based on a book. I usually run out and get the book but unfortunately, my reading experience is changed because I picture the actors while I'm reading. But back to the reason behind this post...

So, back in November, I made a trip to my local library. Of course, they didn't have it on their shelves but they ordered a copy through the County branch. They called two days later and boy, I was so excited! I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into the giant tome.

I loved the story idea. Wouldn't it be wonderful if our voices were able to bring the characters of our favorite books into the real world. Unless your favorite book is zombie-related...

I've been known to read two or three books at a time. I don't usually have a problem keeping the plots and characters straight because the books usually consist of a YA or MG book, a James Patterson novel, and a Nora Roberts or Janet Evanovich book.

When I returned home with "Inkheart," I immediately read 2 chapters. I then proceeded to read a Donna Jo Napoli book. I read another chapter of "Inkheart" and then read 3 magazines. Three more chapters of "Inkheart" and then a JD Robb book. I returned to the library 4 times to renew "Inkheart" and STILL I was only 1/3 of the way through the book.

"What the heck is wrong with me?" I kept asking myself. "This is a bestseller. You SHOULD love this book." I scolded myself and put my foot down. I would not open another book until I finished the novel.

I sat down to read "Inkheart"and refused to acknowledge the beckoning "Hush," by Donna Jo Napoli on my dining room table. During that time, I made mental lists of things I needed to do the following day, groceries we absolutely needed to replenish, and what my next blog post would be about.

Two hours later, I threw up my hands, removed my bookmark, and slammed the book closed. In 4 months, I had read 250 pages, only half the book, and could go no further. I picked up "Hush," a 300 page book, patiently waiting for me on the dining room table, and finished it in 6 hours. (My thoughts on that wonderful book to come in a later post.)

"Inkheart" sits in my car, waiting for 5:30 when I can leave work and return it to the care of our town librarians.

I know not everyone can love the same books or the same authors. The books that some people find amazing are boring to other people. Everyone has their own opinion and I'm ok with that. What bothers me is that I feel horrible about not being able to finish it so I could even give an opinion.

So, my question to you is: "Has this ever happened to you? Do you ever feel horrible when you aren't able to finish a book?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D