Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Short Story Contest




Wow!  I can't believe it's been 16 days since my last blog post!  I apologize for being so scarce lately. Sometimes when I start a new project, I find myself eating, sleeping, and dreaming about it until I'm done.

My femme fatale novel project is halfway through the first revision and it's coming along nicely. Unfortunately, I'm racking my brain for a title. My quest for agents to query has also begun and the first chapter of The Clover Key (a YA historical fantasy) is rewritten in a new point of view.  Next, comes the outlining for the second and third chapters.  YUCK!  But that's for another post...

I've even gone through over 150 e-mails of newsletters, market updates, funny jokes, etc. with a resolution to scan my e-mail once a week.  Not to mention playing Cityville on Facebook, but that's like therapy.

Needless to say, I've been busy. As I'm sure you ALL are.

I find that working on big projects, like novels, are fun but sometimes a short story creeps into my head that begs to be written down.  (Yes, I write on paper with a lead pencil, first.  ALWAYS.)

So, I came across a short story contest I thought I would pass along to all of you:

WEEKLY WRITER'S SPRING 24-HOUR SHORT STORY CONTEST

http://www.writersweekly.com/misc/contest.html

The entry fee is only $5.00!
Each contest is limited to 500 entrants and they give away 85 (yup, 85) prizes!  (I like those odds.)

1st Place: $300
2nd Place: $250
3rd Place: $200


So, this is how it works:
Visit the website to register for the contest and to view the extensive list of prizes.  Start time is April 30th, 2011 at 12:00pm (noon) central time.
When you register, you can download a PDF file of the guidelines.  BUT you cannot write a story and then enter the contest. No, no, no.
Here's where the fun starts--At 12 noon, you will receive an e-mail with the contest topic and the word count. (It will also be posted on the website when the contest starts.)
You have 24 hours to write a short story and submit it according to their guidelines.

This contest is fun and inexpensive and gets the creative juices flowing.  Why not give it a try?

http://www.writersweekly.com/misc/contest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D