Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Need A Little Help From My Friends





I've already admitted I'm stubborn when it comes to joining in on the latest crazes. I'm still catching up with the rest of the world's Harry Potter fans and aside from the bits and pieces of info I've seen on television and in magazines, I still know nothing about Twilight. (The books are on my TBR pile.)

But I'm changing my ways. Truly, I am. Well, I'm trying...

So, now I realize I've been quite stubborn on another thing and now I'm wondering if I must cave in, bite the bullet, and take the plunge on an E-reader.

I've seen and actually played around a little bit on a friend's Kindle. My daughter has an E-reader app on her iPhone and I've noticed so many books and publications are available only through an E-reader. All this kind of has me feeling a little left out of the loop.

When E-readers first came out, I was immediately put off by them. I knew their invention and widespread use would drastically change the literary universe in one way or another, but I also felt sad. See, I love, love books. I love the smell of the paper, the sound of pages turning, the texture of hardcover boards (I always remove the dust jackets while reading and recover them for storage, the weight in my hand, and the way they look when I line them up like soldiers (in size order) on a shelf. I can't help it. I will never give up print books. Ever. Even if they become illegal to own, I'll be a criminal.

As E-readers grew in popularity, they piqued my interest. (See, I'm not THAT stubborn) I even seriously debated buying an iPad which would have been so much fun but financially, I couldn't justify the purchase at that time.

Now, I know there are a whole bunch of arguments on both sides of the print books vs. e-readers debates and I understand it all. E-readers are lightweight, (no hand cramps while holding the massive tomes I love reading) have built-in lighting and anti-glare, (great for my aging eyes) almost any book I want at my fingertips, (no more waiting for books in the mail or trips to the bookstore) and I know that anyone who owns an E-reader loves it.

I know, I'll love it, too. (And probably spend a small fortune, 99 cents at a time) But, here's where I need your help.

I want to hear how owning an E-reader will help in my writing career.

Can you help me?

4 comments:

  1. Denise,
    I don't have a reader, either, for much the same reasons as you. Howevver, I do have a marvelous little thing called--believe it or not--a computer with all sorts of capability.

    Now you can buy those little books--I get them as ARCs for doing reviews--download Adobe's Digital Editions software onto your computer, and read any ebook you want that way. Adobe also has a lending library full of books that you won't even have to buy.

    That's how I got around the issue. And if you want to have lots of opportunity to read newly to-be-released books, I can tell you about that, too. Just drop me an email.

    Happy decision making.

    Clauds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I didn't personally purchase an e-reader, it was a gift from my wonderful husband. I wasn't sure if I would use it. Who wants to read a computer all day right? I have enough trouble with my eyes afterall. But I played with it while we were on vacation and I admit, I love that little gadget. I cruise around the amazon world trolling for $.99 books and books I can't find at the library or books that only are in ereader format and its wonderful. I did find that I dont read any less, and in fact I read a bit more as I not only have my print books piled in the car, my desk, by the side of my bed, but I also have a list going on the kindle. I read everywhere now. I dont have to cart around books if I dont have the space I just cart around my kindle. I get stuck in a huge line at the bank? No worries, just whip out the Kindle. Waiting for an eternity at the doctor's office? Kindle time! Its been very lovely for me. Has it helped my writing. Nope. Not a wit. Unless you count all the reading I am doing as research, which I do cause I'm me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Clauds,
    I never knew about Adobe's lending library. Thanks for that info. Also, I think I WILL e-mail you about to be released books. Thanks!
    Hey Ctny,
    Well, you see, I KNOW I would like an e-reader if I got one. I'm just wondering whether or not I NEED one. Lol.
    Thank you for stopping by, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then, of course, there's the all important question of, "Which one is better?"
    Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D