Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rituals



Some have a special place.
I have a preference of writing in my spare room but since it's temporarily unavailable, I can write anywhere--the kitchen, the living room, or my counter at work.

Some people wear special clothes.
I have absolutely no preference on clothing. I was once in a hotel room, wearing a black formal dress and high heels, minutes from boarding a shuttle to witness my brother's wedding, when an idea struck. Of course, I had a pencil and paper packed in my suitcase.

Some people need absolute quiet or special background music.
Sometimes, if I'm alone in the house, I'll listen to Dave Mathews but I can write during a Yankees game, an episode of Family Guy, or even during the dogfight in Top Gun. The only time I can't write is when someone in my family is talking, even if they aren't talking to me. 

Some people have a special pen.
My writing implement of choice is a pencil but when my muse whispers in my ear, I use whatever is handy.

Some people go through a series of motions to get themselves ready for a task.
I make coffee. Usually it gets cold while my pencil flows.

What are some of your rituals?

2 comments:

  1. Good post,Denise. Love the format of it and the site.

    As for rituals, I really have none. My life is too distracting for the building of rituals. If I find a spare minute while standing in the shower, I conpose in my head, rehearsing the lines aloud until I'm out and can grab something to write with.

    I do also carry a notepad and pen in my pack for those times away from desk and computer. But that would be the only "ritual" I'm prone to.

    Oh, yeah. And having a large bottle of water to one side, waiting for those moments of dry accomplishment.

    Claudsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Claudsy.
    I also find shower time is great for coming up with ideas and dialogue. I seriously thought of buying those Crayola bath markers to write on the shower stall, lol. But then again, I look for any excuse to purchase Crayola products. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D