Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What I've Learned From Fasting...

The last time I posted, I told you all about my cleansing agenda. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement! It wasn't as rough as I thought it would be, and now that I've done it once, I'll definitely try it again. 

(I started out with 10 lemons for four days. It wasn't enough. Although the diet says NOT to use bottled lemon juice, I only used it the last day.)

The Master Cleanse was the scariest, but it was easy. Although I felt a little weak, I also felt fantastic. 
I did the Master Cleanse for three days. The night before I began the cleanse, I smoked my last cigarette. 

Here is what I learned from four days on The Master Cleanse:

  • It IS possible to quit smoking and diet at the same time.
  • Green tea lessens the headaches associated with withdrawals.
  • Pure maple syrup is expensive.
  • Even with microwaving, rolling on the counter, and squeezing like a madwoman, a lemon will only yield about 1/3 cup of juice.
  • It gets easier with each day.
  • Cayenne pepper is tasty and boosts metabolism. I sprinkle it on almost everything.
  • 2 tablespoons of salt dissolved in 2 cups of hot water tastes like broth, but you need to stay close to a bathroom.

On the fourth day, I added orange juice. I've never tasted anything so delicious in my life!
On the fifth day, I ate raw fruits and vegetables.

On the sixth day, I received my shipment of juices from Pressed Juicery.


Unfortunately, I had to have them shipped to my office. I couldn't lay around at home during my juice fast.

The juices were pressed in the morning, and then shipped via FEDEX overnight. Pressed Juicery uses an insulated bag that also contained ice packs.

I received 6 juices per day for 3 days. They're even numbered so I didn't have to think! Aren't the colors pretty? 


I also ordered the optional chlorophyl water and the aloe vera water.

The juice cleanse was expensive ($220.00 for a three-day cleanse), but for me it was well worth it. I didn't have to purchase the fruits and vegetables, I didn't have to chop, measure, and prepare, and I didn't have to clean a juicer. All I did was pop open the top and drink. It was a decadent purchase, but I'm worth it.

Here is what I learned after my Three-Day Pressed Juicery Cleanse:

  • Drinking 16 oz of juice every 2 hours is very filling
  • Cucumbers are overpowering when used in a juice.
  • Chlorophyll water tastes like cactus.
  • Five pounds of produce is used to make 16 oz of pressed juice!
  • I'm not a big fan of ginger.
  • My tongue turned so clean and a pretty shade of pink, I couldn't stop showing everyone.
  • My FedEx delivery guy thinks I'm nuts.



After all was said and done, I lost 7-1/2 pounds (just in time for a wedding!) 


(Me and Hubby)

my hot flashes have diminished, and have been smoke-free for 19 days. I felt alive and energetic, and even though I couldn't do anything too strenuous, my mind felt clear. I even went on a 2 mile walk--TWICE! And didn't feel like I was going to have a heart attack. 

Fasting helped rid my body of toxins and negative addictions, and helped start me off on a new lifestyle of eating fresh, healthy meals. 

So, what does this have to do with writing? Everything! Not only was the cleanse a major life event for me, )|(and all writers know that major life events are fodder for writing) but I also reassured myself that even at this stage of my life I am capable of accomplishing difficult tasks. 

I think I'll go back to writing that novel now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I LOVE hearing from you! :D